Dear Friend & Subscriber-
As you may know, I popped a bag seed a while back and made a small project out of the occasion.
These days, seeds aren’t nearly as common in the cannabis we’re all consuming. Consumers have access to high grade sinsemilla (seedless cannabis). Which is why when I do end up with a bag seed from a batch of flower that I enjoyed, I stash it away for a rainy day.
The bag seed in question was from a bag of Spunday, a Sundae Driver x Betty White cross.
Now, as we have discussed previously, the likelihood of a plant self-pollinating itself and producing a viable seed is less than that of a neighboring plant producing pollen and another plant being the receiver. So, it’s likely that this Spunday is actually Spunday x SOMETHING, but in lieu of that knowledge, Spunday remains the name due to its point of origin.
I popped this bag seed at the end of October and it was in soil by November 1st.
With a bag seed, there were no expectations. I didn’t even know when I’d be flipping it. But a combination of “Why not?” and “Pop every seed” led to germination.
Just before Thanksgiving, I transplanted her to a 1-gallon to veg out and take clones from.
She got some new shoes to rock, and I waited to see what would come of her, eventually taking clones mid-December. By growing from clone, a plant has more time to mature and show its true colors, so to speak. But, if we are being honest, I still wasn’t sure when I’d be flipping this lady, and wanted to keep her around until the opportunity presented itself.
A few days before the new year, the Spunday clones would be ready for transplant, and nearing their first flip.
When considering whether to pop yet another bag seed in January, I made the decision instead to finally flip the Spunday. Having been reminded by my time plant-sitting that I could maximize the equipment on hand, this little lady got transplanted into her final pot mid January and flipped inside of a 2x2x4’ tent with a cheap old blurple light (my original grow setup).
My biggest concern with the grow space was height, as I was unsure how stretchy the Spunday would be.
As feared, she did stretch a little much and ended up singeing the tops of two main branches. I lowered her where I could, and stuck it out for the ride.
At Week 5, she was starting to slow down vertically and begin filling out.
And by harvest, this little lady had thrown down some impressive colas.
After pulling her out of the tent (and that blurple lighting), we finally got a peek at her true colors and boy was she a beauty. Dark purple hues with greens mixed in, and resinous with a funky sweetness. Even with only three main branches, it was obvious there’d be a decent amount to smoke.
Just over a week later, the Spunday was trimmed and jarred up for curing, coming in at a total weight of:
66.42g; roughly 2 ounces, 1 quarter, & an 8th.
The Spunday came out smelling like funky garlic with a candied sweetness. Surprisingly pleasant in taste and smell, visually appealing, and with seeming potential for yields, she’ll be kept around for a future cycle.
In photography, there was (and probably still is) a saying that goes, “It’s not the camera; it’s the photographer.”
Yes, a nicer camera will make it easier to take a nice picture without much know-how. But that same image can be captured by a manual film camera with the right skillset. This holds true for growing as well.
“Some of the best rosin I’ve had was pressed on a hair straightener.”
I hear this regularly from some of the best growers and extractors. Technology has made these processes more accessible with less of a learning curve. Technique and understanding are what make all the difference.
You can grow fire weed in a tiny tent with a light you bought on Amazon if that’s all your situation allows for and still come out with something to be proud of.
Until next time,